Choose a language
Plan a route here
Natural Monument

Rheingrafenstein mit Burgruine

Natural Monument · Nahe · 180 m · open today
Responsible for this content
Urlaubsregion Naheland Verified partner  Explorers Choice 
  • Rheingrafenstein mit Fähre
    Rheingrafenstein mit Fähre
    Photo: Hartusch Wandernhartusch
Steep, 136m high porphyry rock high above the Nahe bank with castle ruins of the same name. Opposite the spa gardens and the Nahe promenade. Its origin is legendary: The devil is said to have built the castle on the steep, 245 m high rock massif. What is certain is that it probably dates from the 11th century and was the ancestral castle of the "Herren vom Stein", the later wild- and Rhine counts. Since the French troops of Louis XIV blew up the castle in 1689, it has been a ruin and today is a landmark of the town of Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg. The somewhat steep ascent is rewarded with a magnificent view of the city and the surrounding area. The ascent begins adventurously with the crossing of the hand-pulled ferry, it takes about 30 minutes.

The Rheingrafenstein is a 136 m high porphyry rock formation on the Nahe opposite Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg. Geologically, it belongs to the Kreuznach Massif. On its top stands the ruins of Rheingrafenstein Castle, which was built in the 11th century and destroyed during the Palatinate War of Succession in 1688. The Rheingrafenstein is the landmark of the Bad Kreuznach district of Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg. Somewhat below it is the ruined outer castle of Affenstein. A 200-hectare area around the rock formation was declared a nature reserve in 1985. Coming from Bad Münster am Stein, the Rheingrafenstein can be reached via a footpath after crossing the Nahe by a hand-pulled passenger ferry. The passenger ferry on the Nahe is not only a rarity, but also a piece of transport history, as it was mentioned as early as 1721. Alternatively, follow the Rheingrafenstraße via Bad Kreuznach to a nearby car park and hike to the castle and viewing platform. (Start at the Kuhberg leisure area)

Tip: 3 x Premium Hiking at the Rheingrafenstein IntroTour/ClassicTour/VitalTour 

Opening hours

open today
Open Feb 24, 2023 through Dec 31, 2023 from 00:00–24:00.

Rheingrafenstein: ganzjährig

Übersetzen mit der Personenfähre: April - Oktober



Erwachsene € 1,00

Kinder € 0,50

Fahrrad € 1,00

Hund € 0,50

Kontakt: Herr Gellweiler

Hans-Joachim Gellweiler
Tel.: 0160 - 357 22 12


49.807582, 7.850225
49°48'27.3"N 7°51'00.8"E
32U 417271 5517871
Show on Map
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike
Sorry, no results found.

Questions and answers

Ask the first question

Would you like to the ask the author a question?


Write your first review

Help others by being the first to add a review.

Photos from others

Rheingrafenstein mit Burgruine

Berliner Straße 60
55583 Bad Münster am Stein-Ebernburg
Phone (0049) 6708 - 641 78 0
  • Content
  • Show images Hide images
2D 3D
Maps and trails