Visit the Grube Wenzel silver mine in Oberwolfach and discover a Black Forest tradition dating back centuries.
Explore the Grube Wenzel Mine!
Visit the Grube Wenzel silver mine in Oberwolfach and discover a Black Forest tradition dating back centuries. Visitors of all ages can gain a unique insight into this historical mine and its extensive network of tunnels.Expert mine guides will point out the tracks of older and more recent mining and talk about modern-day mining in the Grube Clara in Oberwolfach.
Equipped with a miner‘s helmet, lamp, boots and jacket, explorerswill set off into the depths of the mine, with its vast galleries and rich treasures to explore
Discover in the mine:
- The history of mining with hammer and pick (16th century)
- The history of mining using gunpowder (18th/19th century)
- Surface shaft and fault zone
- The white, silver-bearing barite veins
- Mining of silver and copper ores
- Drusen, a mine trolley and winches
And for the last stop of the tour, wash your boots in the well just like miners have done for centuries.
Tours of the Grube Wenzel
- Lasts around 1.5 hours
- Walk through around 1000 m
- Tours start at 11am, 1pm and 3pm each day
- Also suitable for children
- Groups of 10 people and more: advance booking only
(Guided tours for groups are also possible outside opening hours)
- Lasts around 3 hours
- Walk through approx. 2300 m
- Tour through the upper and deeper tunnels
- Visitors must be fit and have a good head for heights!
- For ages 14 and above
- Advance booking only
The Grube Wenzel is open from April until the end of October. Closed Mondays. In school holidays (Baden-Württemberg) and on public holidays, the Grube Wenzel is open continuously from Monday to Sunday. For current opening times, go to www.grube-wenzel.de
At 11am, 1pm and 3pm each day.
Guided tours for groups and the „Adventure Tour“ can also be arranged on request outside opening hours.
Tel. +49 (0) 78 34 / 868 392. Information about special guided tours is available at www.grube-wenzel.de
The Grube Wenzel may only be visited as part of a guided tour.
How to find us:
Rheintal motorway (A5), Offenburg exit, towards Villingen-Schwenningen and Wolfach (45 km) or from Stuttgart-Lake Constance (A81), Rottweil exit, via Schramberg and Schiltach (40 km)
Frohnbach 19, 77709 Oberwolfach, www.grube-wenzel.de