The all-around accessible main wall was mainly constructed in the 15th century. Its most vulnerable flank at the Mainzer Berg was strengthened by the addition of a Zwinger (inner defence gate). The only entrance (at Grabengasse/Kirchgasse) received an outer gate, a so-called “Barbarkane”. The second, southern breach was created in 1873 and provided access to the vineyards.
The most salient point is the so-called Malakoff tower - formerly the “Alte Wache” (old guard post) with its dungeon. It offers an impressive panorama of still in many aspects late medieval Ober-Ingelheim and the attractive landscape of the lower valley of the Selz. In the old cemetery, which is no longer in use, there is a memorial stone to Dr. Martin Mohr, the democratic member of parliament in St. Paul’s church in Frankfurt in the year 1848. Outside its wall, two obelisks remind of the dead of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870/71 and the First World War.
The idyllic area around the Burgkirche provides ideal scenery for open-air performances and festivals. As part of a guided tour, the battlement around the castle church is accessible, which can be booked at the Tourist Information Ingelheim.
Open Aug 02, 2021 through Dec 31, 2022 from 00:00–24:00.
The Ober-Ingelheim battlement is only accessible as part of a guided tour, which you can book at the Ingelheim Tourist Information.