In the tenth century, the Noble Rabangar built a castle here on the steep rocks above the Simmerbach (Simmer Stream).
This place owes its name to the noble Rabangar, who in the 10th century built a castle on the steep rock above the Simmerbach. The castle chapel was sacred in 1072. Two years later Count Berthold and his wife Hedwig founded an Augustinian monastery, which existed until 1566. After that, this magnificent estate was acquired by the duchy of Simmern. Since 1699 the church is catholic. The monastery buildings were taken over by missionaries of the Holy Family in 1920, who founded a theological college. Only the double-towered 42-meter high westwork, with its numerous reliefs and sculptures has survived the passing of time. The nave burned down numerous times. The high altar with the Crucifixion group dates back to 1722, while the splendid organ was built in the first half of the 18th century.
Der Hunsrückdom kann zu jeder Jahreszeit von außen betrachtet werden. Die Traumschleife Domblick bietet an mehreren Stellen eine atemberaubende Aussicht auf den Dom.